"Put a BUBBLE in your mouth"

I have had a fabulous day, celebrating my future sister-in-law as we threw her a Princess-themed bridal shower that was all things pink and sparkly :)
And while it was so much fun, it was also tons of work
and this little gal is pooped! 
So...This post will be short and sweet :)

I'm linking up with Joanne from "Head Over Heels for Teaching"
Today I'm going to share this fun and easy tip 
for motivating students to stay quiet:
This a simple method I use for keeping my students quiet when I need their attention or we're walking in the hallway. I tell them to "put a bubble in their mouth" and they instantly take a deep breath and fill their cheeks with air and hold it. 
This prevents them from speaking. It sure looks funny, 
but has proven very effective :)
 
I was leery about how my 5th graders would feel about this seemingly-childish activity, but they LOVE it! We constantly walk down the hallways with "bubbles" in our mouths -We're quite a sight and other teachers always comment on it. The kids just laugh and fill their mouths with bubbles. If I catch a kid talking, I just look pointedly at them and say "Bubble" and they know exactly what they need to do. It works every time!

Try it with your students - 
you'll be surprised with how fun they find it!
Hop on over to Joanne's page to link up your fantastic idea for sparking student motivation

Got an idea for attention-getters and transitions?
Link up here too! :)

4 comments :

  1. Love it...We will be trying out the bubbles this week. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sixth graders would get a kick outta this! How cute AND CLEVER! We do "stealth mode" down the hallway, crouching and looking side-to-side ever so silently. They love to walk through the high school wing this way! What a sight! LOL! What we don't do!

    Angela
    The Teacher's Desk 6

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute is that princess party! Parties are a ton of work! I see our K and 1st using the bubble, but have never tried it with my fourthsters-but if your 5th graders will do it, then I'm going to try to get my students to do it! It's a great for the school if the big kids are setting an example! Thanks for sharing and linking up!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a silly and effective idea. Love it! I'm so going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.