Must-Read Mentor Text: H is for Honor


"Each of us should please our neighbors for their good,
to build them up." 
Romans 15:2


It's not too late to purchase the
Moore Relief Effort Bundle from TN
Your donation helps families in need
(and gives you $2,200 worth of products!)

I have donated my Ninja Nouns: Singular and Plural Noun Sort
Now it's that time again...
time to share my love for some great mentor texts!


This week's theme is Social Studies and I want to share a timely book for Memorial Day:
To accompany our study of HEROES this past week, we easily transitioned into Memorial Day, or the day to honor soldiers who have sacrificed their lives in the line of duty. That was pretty smooth, wasn't it? :)

Here are some pages from the book:
B is for "Brats"
I like the talk to my students about children growing up in military families or "brats" (they get a kick out of that!). I have them visualize what it would be like living on a military base and we make a list of pros and cons of having parents actively serving in the military.
L is for Letters
We have been letter writing machines in my classroom lately! :)
We wrote letters to students and teachers in Moore, Oklahoma and we also wrote letters to two different soldiers: my cousin, Daniel, who just returned from Afghanistan, and the cousin of one of my students who is currently serving overseas.
We shared our appreciation for their dedication, loyalty, and willingness to serve.

I have created an 18-page packet of fun, engaging, and hassle-free activities!


And to whet your appetite, here's a sampler activity just for YOU! :)
 
Happy Memorial Day, Everyone!
I want to send a heartfelt thank-you to all of the military personnel who have risked their lives and sacrificed so much in order to keep us safe. We appreciate you.  


4 comments :

  1. My kiddos write to soldiers too. We spend a lot of time talking about how important it is for us to encourage those who are serving in our military.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT book and activity for Memorial Day! Discussing our military heroes is one of my favorite topics.
    :)
    Erin
    I'm Lovin Lit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these books and this is a great idea for Memorial Day! Your unit looks fabulous! It makes me wish that I was still teaching tomorrow...sort of... ;O)

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.