Must-Read Mentor Text: D is for Desert

~Happy Sunday, Friends~
"But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation always say, "The LORD be exalted!" -Psalm 40:16 

I am off to my lovely sister-in-law's college graduation on this wet, rainy, gray wonderful day! :)
But before I sit in the rain head out, I wanted to link up with Collaboration Cuties for their...
This week's theme is SCIENCE and I am going to
share one from a series I adore:
This book is written in an alphabet form - each page contains two letters of the alphabet and gives examples of something found in a desert that begins with each letter.
Each fact is written in poetry - so creative!
Here are some sample poems from the book:

J is for the Joshua tree,
w
ith flower clusters of greenish white.
They sit atop its arm-like branches
and create an unusual sight.
L is for a lizard 
basking in the desert sun.
Until its body gets too hot,
then to the shade it runs.



I learned so much about deserts from this book - did you know that approximately 1/3 of the Earth's surface is considered desert? But only 20% of those deserts are covered in sand - the majority are polar deserts, or areas covered in ice.
Fascinating, eh?

This book is special to me because my mom bought it for me when she and my dad vacationed in California one year. Living just outside NYC, the majority of my students (myself included!) have never seen a real desert (hot or cold) and this book, D is for Desert, gives a comprehensive overview of desert facts that will enlighten even the strictest city-dweller :)

And, as you know, I never just read a book and move on. I have to create something to assess comprehension, extend the activity, and solidify details in the brain. And that's what I've done for D is for Desert.


 

~ENJOY!~
If you download the freebie,
please take a moment to leave some feedback :)

And before you go, don't forget to enter my 

UPDATE:
This week's Tricks of the Trade  topic is...
drum roll please...
....
.....
Field Trips - how do you schedule them, organize them, manage them, etc. What types of activities do you do before, during, and/or after your trips?
Can't wait to read your tips on Thursday!

6 comments

  1. I love the alphabet books, but this one is new to me. This would be great for my biome unit! Hope the graduation goes well and you don't get too wet!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have probably noticed in a few of my posts that I am in the middle of an ABC book unit, so this is a perfect book for me to add to my list. Thanks for sharing. :) Happy Sunday!
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ABC books! I'll have to check this one out :) good luck at the graduation! Maybe it'll clear up!!

    Sarah
    A Sunny Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these alphabet books! You are so right! They are full of information and I love the photos and illustrations! Thank you for the freebie! This will be great for our ecosystems unit!

    Thanks for linking up friend!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, confession time... I read the post title really quick and thought it said "D is for Dessert" and got so excited! LOL I was pleasantly surprised though to find this new book and the amazing goodies! Thanks for sharing and I posted your giveaway on my blog! Congrats again!

    Sabra
    Teaching with a Touch of Twang

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is so darn stinking cute! I'm so glad I found you!

    24/7 Teacher: Amy Harrod

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top