Let's Get Acquainted: Teacher Questions

I am loving LaToya's "Let's Get Acquainted" linky party because it gives teachers a chance to share their hearts and provides a "face" behind the "blogger" :)


So here's a glimpse into my 
teaching heart:
Happy Pink Heart 


1.  What made you decide to become a teacher?
My love for teaching started when I was five years old. My kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Gory, was stupendous. She instilled in me a love for learning, helping, and leading in the classroom. My passion for teaching continued to grow as I did. In high school, I was the Vice President of the “Students Today…Teachers Tomorrow” club and got to do valuable practicum hours in a local elementary school. I was also a part of a special class called “Teens and Tots” in which preschool children came to our school three days a week and we each took turns planning, preparing for, and implementing circle time activities, lessons, crafts, and games. Once entering the education program at Liberty, my calling was clear and I was ready to tackle the education world, one classroom at a time! :)

2. What has been your most rewarding experience as a teacher?
My favorite thing about being  a fifth grade teacher is the opportunity to invest in the lives of these boys and girls for one year. I feel being a teacher is a high calling – and a weighty one. My students are at a crucial age where they need a role model, someone to look up to, someone to talk to. I want to instill in them a love for learning that will outlast this school year.

I am going to cheat a little bit and share 
two rewarding experiences:
1. As a Christian school teacher, I have a two-fold responsibility - I want to cater to the academic needs of my students and see them grow in knowledge and I also want to teach them biblical values and see them grow in their knowledge of the God and the personal relationship He longs to have with them. In October, I reviewed the Gospel with my students during Bible class and had one sweet little girl come up to me and share that she wanted to accept Jesus as her personal Lord and Savior. It was a time of great rejoicing in my classroom! All of the other students were so excited for her - they hugged her and encouraged her as she made the most important decision in her life. I was blessed to be used by God in this life-changing way :)

2. On a more academic side, one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in the classroom has to do with a young girl who came into my class very below grade level. She struggled with reading, spelling, and writing and was very discouraged because she was very behind the other students. On the first day of school, she apologized and told me her 
"brain was broken."
 My eyes teared up as I reassured her that her brain was not broken - it just worked differently than other students' brains. I have worked with her diligently this year, reviewing letter sounds and word families to build a foundation of phonics. We have also dug into vocabulary like crazy to build her comprehension skills. Well our hard work paid off as one day she came running in the classroom shouting, "I did it! I did it! I'm a reader!" as she proudly showed off the book she had finished over the weekend. It was one of the first chapter books she had read on her own. She has made incredible progress and I smile every time I call for a volunteer to read and her hand shoots in the air! :)
School Girl Raising Hand

3. If you were not a teacher, what would you be?
If I wasn't a teacher I would be...
Dream world: A Broadway Actress
Stage Lights on a Track
Pair of Pair of Movie Ticketss

Real world: a Nurse
Nurse Clipart Image: Blonde Cartoon Nurse Holding a Clipboard

Hop on over and join the fun!:


FYI...

Here's the topic for this week's 
"Tricks of the Trade Thursdays"


As the end of the school year dawns, I want to hear your ideas for gifts - gifts you give to students, to coworkers, to special's teachers, to administration, etc. Also, you could share one of your favorite gifts you've received as a teacher.  
These could be your original ideas or something you've found on Pintrest...aka the source of all truly great ideas :)
*Link up your ideas on Thursday!*

No comments :

Post a Comment

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.