Writing Workshop: Persuasive Letter Writing

Happy Wednesday folks! More than halfway through our week - although it feels like it's the 9430th day of this week! 
Anyone with me?

I do have some exciting news! Tina from "Crofts Classroom" has started doing a blogger feature each week...and she asked me to be her first guest! 

Crofts' Classroom

To brighten my long day, I'm munching on popcorn, relaxing in pajamas, and linking up with Jivey for "Workshop Wednesday." Today's focus is Writing Workshop: Favorite Mini-lesson

I want to share with you one of my favorite things to teach...Persuasive Writing!

To introduce and reinforce the idea of persuasive writing, we go over this cute anchor chart:
persuasive writing
We also touch on dishonest persuasion and how prevalent that is, especially in the media. I've created a vocabulary flip book that you can download for FREE:

Now, to the fun part...
I combine my persuasive writing with my letter writing unit - killing two birds with one stone, if you will (idiom!). Here are two mentor texts I use when teaching persuasive letter writing:
1. I Wanna Iguana by Karen Kaufman Orloff
Synopsis: Alex is DYING to have a pet iguana, so he decides to write his mom a letter to persuade her to let him. He promises that she won't have to feed it or clean its cage or even see it if she doesn't want to. Written as a series of letters back and forth between Alex and his mom. 
*Click on the YouTube icon to watch the book being read.*

2. Dear Mrs. LaRue: Letters from Obedience School
by Mark Teague

This is one of my all-time favorite books! When Ike Larue is "imprisoned" at the Igor Brotweiler Canine Academy, he tries sending dramatic persuasive letters to his own, Mrs. LaRue. Finally, he runs away only to find himself back in Snort City--just in time to save Mrs. Larue's life.

The thing I love most about this book is the illustrations. Each page is split: one half is in color and depicts what is really happening and the other half is in black and white, showing Ike's imagination of how horribly he is being treated:
THEN it's time for the kiddos to show what they've learned. 
"Save the Turkeys"
I usually do this activity in November and then have the students write letters from to Americans families at Thanksgiving time. However, these are not ordinary letters..they are written from the perspective of a TURKEY and the students must PERSUADE the family not to eat them for Thanksgiving. 
It's such a fun activity and the students get really into it. They have to come up with arguments, reasons, and support. To help plan our letters, we used this great (free!) graphic organizer from "Charmed in Third Grade"

But this does not limit this lesson to Thanksgiving. 
Throughout the year, I give them persuasive writing prompts to keep honing their skills:
  • I have had them write letters to me trying to persuade me that they should not have homework for the night (that was the most turned-in assignment ever!) 
  • Tomorrow we are going to be writing persuasive letters to convince people to take care of the Earth (just in time for Earth Day!)
  • I also use these great task cards as prompts:


Have a successful writing mini-lesson you've used with your students? Hop on over to Ideas by Jivey and link up! 
Well I'm off to enjoy this beautiful Spring weather!
Happy Wednesday, blogging friends!

2 DAYS TIL SPRING BREAK!

10 comments

  1. I love using I Wanna Iguana! I Wanna New Room is great as well.
    http://hunterteachingtales.blogspot.com/2013/04/workshop-wednesday-noticings-mini-lesson.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these ideas!! Thanks for linking up! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out on your feature! :)

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great ideas for persuasion! I love the idea about the turkey!

    Sarah
    MissKinBK

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are such awesome ideas! Persuasive writing is so much fun to teach and there are so many great mentor texts out there. I can't believe that you haven't had spring break yet....I would be dying! :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun activities. My kiddos love LaRue too! It was fun to learn more about you in the feature, thank you for the shout out too! :)


    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love I Wanna Iguana! This year I also used Hey! Little Ant. I had my kiddos write letters to me persuading me to squish or not squish the ant.

    There is also a great interactive persuasive graphic organizer where the students can type into to it and then print it out.

    http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/persuasion_map/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of goodies! Thanks for sharing! I love those books too!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love persuasive writing and Dear Mrs. LaRue. I always do the "Don't Eat Me" turkey letter in November. I use the writing lesson from writingfix.com with the mentor text One Lucky Day. A pig is convincing a fox not to eat him.

    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack
    Balancing the Backpack

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Dear Mrs. LaRue! One of my faves to share with the kiddos! :o)
    Tara
    TeachingwithTWitte

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top