Tried-It Tuesday: WeGiveBooks.org

I'm linking up with Holly from "Fourth Grade Flipper" for her weekly "Tried It Tuesday" linky party:


Here's an idea that I've successfully tried again and again - WeGiveBooks.org

We Give Books

Each time you read a children's book online, they donate a book to a specific charity that helps get books to children in impoverished or underprivileged areas. There are hundreds of books to choose from - and all of them are available to be viewed online, just like an e-book. You can sort by title, author, genre, age range, or popularity (how often it is read). The majority of the books are for the younger grades, but I've been able to find lots of good options for the upper grades as well. 

I don't have a document camera in my classroom - oh how I wish I did! - and I have used this website countless times when I want to display a children's book on the SmartBoard so that students can grapple with the language, identify different parts of a book (both fiction and non-fiction), and see the illustrations magnified.
Here's an example of a winner I recently found, Little Pink Pup
It's a story about a Pink, young piglet who is the runt of the pig family. Pink's owners bring him into the house where he is soon adopted by the family dachshund, Tink, who has just had puppies of her own. Pink is soon considered one of Tink's pups as Tink nurses him back to health. The other pups don't mind that Pink is different - they think he fits right in.
This is a heart-warming story about being accepted, even though different. It appeals to students and has real-world application that stems good, thoughtful discussion.

Here's an example of one book that we read when we talk about different cultures around the world:
School Days Around the World book cover
Here's a sample page:
At the beginning of the year, my class learned about the program and then read about the different charities we could donate to. We chose "Read for My School"
Read for My School
and helped them real their goal of 150,000 books!

We were then prompted to choose a new charity,
Bless the Book Bus
Bess The Book Bus

WeGiveBooks.org is such an incredible website - it's free and is so easy to use and navigate! Plus it helps those in need - what more could you want?
Sign-up your classroom today!



p.s. Don't forget to enter my Monday Made-It Giveaway :)

4 comments

  1. Thanks for the great idea. I don't have a document camera either, so I'm always excited to find books we read on the Smartboard.

    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful site, Jessica! I really need to check this out more. I might just buy one of those Dewey things to use with my (one!) iPad for a document camera. I need one! Thank you so much for sharing and linking up:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that site! I have used it with my personal kids but I forget about it at when I'm at school! Thanks for the reminder!

    That story about the pig is adorable!!!! Love it!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful site! I am definitely going to look into this :) Thanks SO much for sharing!

    Amelia
    wherethewildthingslearn

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top