Hot Potato Grammar: Get Your Kids BEGGING for More Grammar Practice

Today, I'm joining the fun with Holly from "Fourth Grade Flipper's" "Tried-It Tuesday" linky party and Denise from "Sunny Days in Second Grade" for her "Show and Tell" linky


Here's what we tried today - and boy, was it a hit!
This is an awesome game that is a combination of hot potato and musical chairs. 
I used it to review and reinforce the different parts of speech, but it could be adapted for almost any subject area or topic. 

Here's how it works:
1.    Label four buckets or bags with a different part of speech: noun, verb, adjective, and adverb. 
Place a treat in each bucket:
 
2.    Have your students sit in a circle and hand out the four buckets to different students around the circle.
3.    Start the music and have the students pass the buckets around the circle.
4.    When the music stops, the buckets stop. 

1.    5.  When the music stops, the teacher draws a word out of an envelope and reads it out loud. The student with that part of speech is out.
For example: if the word called is “pretty,” then the student holding the “adjective” bucket is out. 
The bucket is given to the student on the left and music begins again.
6. The game continues until only four students are left.
Those four students get to open the bucket and keep the prize that is inside.
“Hot Potato Grammar” provides a great parts-of-speech review for the students and they will beg for it time and time again!
I TRIED it...and so can you!
You can download this FUN and ENGAGING packet for FREE!

AND because this idea was such a success,(if I do say so myself) I am linking up with Gina from "Third Grade Tidbits" for her "What's Working Wednesdays" linky:

3 more days til Spring Break!

10 comments

  1. This is a really cute idea...some end of the year fun, kids won't even realize they are learning! Thanks for sharing!
    Tara
    TeachingwithTWitte

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I love ANYTHING that makes grammar fun!

    Thanks for sharing!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've downloaded it and even sent a copy to my sister who teaches English to high school students in Mongolia!

      Thanks again, from your latest follower :)

      x Serena x
      Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

      Delete
  3. Oh I love this idea! How cute! Love love love!! Thank you for sharing!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, Jessica! This is the perfect thing for testing week! I'm going to throw it together tomorrow morning at school and use it with both my fifth and sixth graders. Thanks for sharing!

    Angela
    The Teacher's Desk 6

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Jessica! Now I need four containers for tomorrow...hmmm! I'm impatient-when I find something I like I need to do it right away!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this!!! I can only imagine how excited the students are to play this! Thanks so much for sharing, Jessica:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up to Show and Tell Tuesday! OMG, My kids are going to LOVE this!! Just when I've seen everything... Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to do this on Monday!!
    Denise
    Sunny Days In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top