Titanic and Meatballs and Raindrops...Oh My!

I'm linking up with these three ladies for a review
of my action-packed week:



1. Standardized Testing is DONE!
Woohoo!My students were such troopers - they worked diligently through each of the sections. When we finished, I led my students in a class-wide Happy Dance!
2. Titanic Unit Activities
This week we focused on the Titanic and the kids LOVED it! 
Throughout the week, we did a series of activities from my "Unsinkable?" Titanic Activity Packet
Here is an outline of our days:
Day 1: I gave them an overview of the building of the Titanic and the general events in the story. To start off the unit, I had them fill out a K-W-L chart (I use these ALL the time!)
We filled out the "K" and "W" column.
I was amazed at how many knew next to nothing about the Titanic! (other than the fact that it was a big boat)
Then we watched these awesome movies from this the
History Channel website:

And I read them different sections from this book each day:
It is AWESOME!
Afterwards, we filled in our "L" column - the pencils were flying across the paper as the students' brains were energized and eager to learn more.

And then we filled out these graphic organizers: 
 

Day 2: We talked about life on the Titanic and
discussed each of the three classes
Day 3: We discussed the sinking of the Titanic and the rescue of the over-board passengers
We talked about Morse code and the 20 (!) ice burg warnings that had been sent to the Titanic that went  unheeded. We also talked about how the binoculars had been lost and never replaced, so the look-outs were unprepared.
 
The left lens shows what they saw (a clear, glassy ocean) and the right lens should what they should have seen: a huge ice burg.
We talked about the compartments filling with water once the Titanic scraped up against the ice burg.
Then we talked about how the boat took on water, began to sink, and then cracked in two:
Day 4: We journaled as if we had been aboard the Titanic. 
The students could choose their perspective:
*a passenger boarding the Titanic
*a crew member
*Captain Murdoch
*a passenger during the chaos of the crash and aftermath

 
 Here's a preview of the entire packet: 
Click HERE to check out my Titanic Unit Activity packet on TpT
 At the end of the unit, we read this book as a
review of all that we had learned: 

3. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
We got a lot of rain this week - and I was SO excited because it meant that I could whip out one of my favorite books, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
We read the classic book:
Charted some story details using these graphic organizers:
And then wrote our own versions: "Cloudy with a Chance of..."
  
   Today we put on our "reporter hats" and wrote for "The ChewandSwallow Gazette":
 

4. April Showers Bring...Reading Hours
If you missed yesterday's post, I have a *FREEBIE* for you! It's been raining heavily this week - and I couldn't have been more pleased :) I have been waiting for rain to do this fun activity with a play on the popular expression, "April Showers Bring May Flowers." I paired up my students and let them choose a book to partner-read. Then, they worked together to fill in a raindrop graphic organizer with important story details.
 

5. WW2 Hero Certificates
We have been knee-deep in the fox holes with the troops in World War 2 for the past month. We've covered important people, important dates, important battles. My hubby even came in for a lovely demonstration (you can read about that HERE). Today we ended our unit by focusing on different heroes who helped save the Jews from concentration camps. We read mini-biographies on six different heroes and the students practiced their note-taking skills. Then, they chose one to honor with an award:

WHEW! What a week! (I feel like this post took me a week to create!) I hope you feel a little like you've stepped into my classroom - where fun and learning collide!

13 comments

  1. Love your bulletin boards! Very cute :)

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove Titanic stuff! Scholastic Book Clubs (Arrow) has a historical fiction book, Titanic Book One: Unsinkable, on sale for only $1. It would be so easy to pick up a class set! I bought 10 for my literature circles. Great way to mix fiction with nonfiction. The book is written on a 3rd grade reading level I believe and is a very short novel.
    Happy Friday!
    Erin
    I'm Lovin Lit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Cloudy With A Chance of... writing your students did. What a great activity. I do not teach the Titanic but I have gone to the museum exhibit 3 times and each time I was given the name of a survivor!

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Titanic stuff. A few of my students wrote their historical fiction pieces on the Titanic.
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff happening in your classroom!! Your kiddos must have so much fun!

    Melissa
    Wild About Fifth Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You have been busy this week!! I love the Titanic activities and all your bulletin boards:) Awesome work!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  7. My students are all so interested in the Titanic. We read a very short piece on it this week while working with sequencings and they liked that so much I'm thinking we may do this unit after state testing this year. I've already added it to my wishlist. It looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lovey, love, love your glittery happy Friday. SO cute!
    It has been raining, and raining, and raining some more here too... Inside recess all week = sad teacher and kiddos.
    Jean
    Diving Into 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy dance for sure! We test next week. Sigh.

    Enjoy your weekend!
    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had a great week. What fun things to teach and create in your classroom. I love the blog design! Happy Friday!
    Kristy
    2 Peas and a Dog Teaching Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that dancing cat graphic! It looks like y'all had an amazing week! Love all of your Titanic stuff...my 2nd graders are always so interested in that even though we don't touch on it (just have a couple of books about it in my reading center). Your students are lucky to have such an awesome teacher!

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  12. I might just bookmark this page to see that dancing cat when I need a smile!

    So many great things going on in your room...almost makes me wish I taught sixth grade again. (Key word=almost!)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are one of my favorites now!! Thank you for these great ideas. We have the Titanic museum nearby in Branson, Missouri so I might have to use some of your ideas for next year. I'm your newest folower and thanks SO MUCH for sharing, Heather

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top