"PQ3R" Non-fiction Reading Strategy (Freebie included)

I'm linking up with Holly from "Fourth Grade Flipper" to share an idea that I've tried::


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In Reading class, we've been focusing on non-fiction.

I teach my kids that reading comprehension for non-fiction takes "juice" from a different part of the brain than fiction stories. You have to come at it from a different angle, attack it with different strategies.

Here is one strategy that we tried this yesterday:

It's a basic reading comprehension strategy that has students take note of important non-fiction text features and use them to increase their comprehension and retention:


I used this strategy to introduce our author for the week, John Bunyan.

We read "John Bunyan: Prisoner with a Pen" using our PQ3R strategy: 

While I model ed my thinking on the board,
the students filled in this note sheet in their binders:



We previewed and questioned together and then read the non-fiction passage. Then, they went back and jotted down the answers to their questions. Then we buddy-shared a summary of the passage and practiced working in pairs to create a concise summary of main ideas.

I have each strategy listed on a bulletin board for easy reference:

You can download these non-fiction strategy posters and two student note-sheets for FREE!

6 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing this! We are starting out big nonfiction unit next week. This will come in handy!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea! Thanks so much for sharing your ideas and the freebies. Fun!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great strategy. Thanks for the freebie. Can't wait to see your bulletin board.

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. We are starting our independent research project this week and this will be a huge help!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. This strategy looks awesome, Jessica! I will have to stop back on Thursday to check out the bulletin board:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.