Class Compliments Whole-Class Motivation

Happy Saturday, Friends!
I am off on a fun-filled girly adventure day to New York City to shop, explore, and see the new Broadway show, Cinderella!
But before I head out, I want to say that I am LOVING
Head Over Heels for Teaching's linky party:
I LOVE reading and perusing all of the fun ways that teachers spark and motivate their students in the classroom. I have pinned about 90439 ideas already! :)

Today I want to share about my whole-class incentive plan:
To earn "Class Compliments," students have work together as a class to earn "stars" from me, from specials' teachers, or from other adults in the building. 
They earn them for: 
  • going ABOVE AND BEYOND in their participation, their diligence, their kindness to one another, their self-control (that's a big one!)
  • walking absolutely silently in the hallway (especially if we have a traffic jam at lunch causing the kids to have to wait for a long time)
  • showing role-model-worthy behavior to younger students
The kids LOVE earning stars...and they hate losing them. 
If the entire class is not demonstrating exemplary behavior (i.e. excessive chatting, noisiness in the hallway, horsing around in the classroom, etc.) then a star "falls" from the board.

Once they earn 10 stars, they've earned a PARTY!
We've had 4 parties so far. Each time they reach 10, the students vote on one of three different options and vote on the way they wish to celebrate their success:

1. An "In-Tents Reading Party:" the students bring books, blankets, and flashlights, and build tents to read in for the morning. A big hit - anything to get kids excited about reading :) (get it? Intense...in TENTS) 

2. Movie & Popcorn Party: 
The most recent movie we watched was The Incredibles - the students LOVED it!

3. Game-board Party: The students are all allowed to bring in a game - non-electronic! That's a tough concept for them :). We empty out my game drawer and they go to town playing and chatting with their friends. It's an awesome time to sneak in some educational learning (Apples to Apples, Jr. anyone?!) and to give them valuable, hands-on practice in compromising, negotiating, and pleasing others. Plus, it's FUN!

*For our next party, we're going to be heading outside, now that the weather is beau-ti-ful!*

 Here's a sample of the note I send home to the parents once we've earned 10 stars:



The parents know about the system and are frequently checking in: "How many stars do we have?" or "Have many more stars til I need to bake cupcakes again?" :)
I'm blessed to have such generous parents.

What do you do to motivate your students as a whole class?
Link up your idea (or any motivational idea!) with Joanne at "Head over Heels for Teaching"

But BEFORE you head over...
I want to announce that there will be a...

NEW LINKY PARTY starting Thursday!
I am teaming up with my dear bud, Becky from Compassionate Teacher, to bring you a brand-new, exciting, inspiring, motivating linky party...
"Tricks of the Trade Thursdays"
Each Thursday there will be a theme (such as homework collection and management, manipulative storage, transition motivators, incentive systems, desk organization, filing systems, etc.) and you are invited to link up your tricks of the trade, or any ideas, systems, Pinspirations, strategies, etc. that keep your classroom running smoothly.

Next Thursday, May 2nd, will be our first edition. 
The theme will be...
Questions to consider:
What tools do you use to create bulletin boards? 
How often do you change them? 
Do you have boards that stay up all year?
What types of materials do you put on them?

*PLEASE JOIN US!*

8 comments

  1. Fun, fun! I wish I could come to one of your parties! ;)
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your compliment parties look fun! We do this as a school-wide motivator and our principal announces it on the morning new show on Fridays when we earn them. We just had a game day Friday!! :O)

    Love the new linky idea!! :O)
    Have fun this weekend!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do a "Compliment Jar" so it's a very similar system! I LOVE your idea of giving them the choices of parties, though! The "In-Tents Reading" party is hilarious and AMAZING! I love the letter to get parent help, too! I am definitely pinning this for next year :) THANKS!! Can't wait to link up with your new linky party!

    Amelia
    wherethewildthingslearn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the idea of a Compliment Party. I think I am going to have to implement this for our last few weeks of school.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your party ideas!!! I teach first and when we all stay on green for 10 days we do a party too... some that we have done are cupcake party, chip bag party, rootbeer float party, and cookie party... I like the board game party.. we are so doing that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do "Compliments Galore" for my class and they have picked popcorn party or brownies. I am in love with the In-tents reading party!!! Soooooo cute! And I also like the idea of getting donations for these parties-I usually provide it and it gets expensive. Thanks for sharing and coming to my party!
    I like your idea for the new linky! I may be late linking up-I come back from my cruise Thursday.
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you had fun in the Big Apple! I went once and was able to see "Mama Mia!" while there; so much fun! If you ever feel the urge to go to the Little Apple, just let me know! :)

    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top