All Aboard the Unsinkable Titanic

In April 1912, the RMS Titanic set off on her maiden voyage from England to New York City. The third day at sea, she struck an iceberg and sank in the Atlantic Ocean. In early April my students and I did an in-depth unit on the Titanic - and it was a hit! My students LOVED learning about all aspects of the incident - building and furnishing the ship, the passengers, what life was like on board the ship, the crash, and the subsequent sinking.

You can read more about all of the FUN and ENGAGING activities HERE.


I am linking up with Collaboration Cuties for their weekly
"Must-Read Mentor Texts" linky party:
The theme this week is Social Studies - one of my absolute favorite subjects to teach!

Here's one of the best books I used in my Titanic unit:

I LOVE the Eyewitness Books - they are chocked-full of valuable and age-appropriate information on a myriad of subjects. Topics covered in this book include:
*The building of the Titanic
*Captain and Crew
*First, Second, and Third Class Travel
*A deadly collision
*Sinking

Here are some sample pages:
You can see how well-laid out the pages are.
They are chocked-full of interesting information, diagrams, and pictures.
I read different sections to my students each day -
and they hung on my every word and clamored to see the pages.


If you're interested in doing a Titanic Unit with your students, click on the picture below to preview:

And, as a special treat, I have a FREEBIE for you :)
A little tasting.
A sampling.

Here's a Fact and Opinion activity to supplement a study of the Titanic:
  

ENJOY!

4 comments

  1. I have this book and it is in TERRIBLE shape because my students love it so much!! Thanks for the freebie!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone loves the Titianic!! And, there are so many great books out there for it too! I love this series of books!! They are definitely chocked full of info!!

    Thanks so much for linking up and for the freebie!! Have a great week!! :O)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Eyewitness books and used them ALL the time when I taught 6th grade social studies!! I have seen so many great activities on the Titanic that it has me thinking about how I could incorporate it next year!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kiddos FOUGHT over this book when I first added to my library a couple of years ago. They all had an obsession with the Titanic that year, and this book was a MAJOR must-have. Have you ever read Titanicat? It's such a good story!! It would be a good addition to your unit if you don't already use it. :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top