Workshop Wednesday: Mentor Texts for Teaching Adjectives

Before I begin - I've got to say...

Doesn't my blog look FABULOUS?!?!?!

The incredibly-talented, inventive, and patient (!) Megan from "A Bird in Hand" Blog Design created it for me!
A Bird in Hand Blog Design

If you're looking to get a custom blog design done - e-mail Megan. 
Right now.
Ok, well first read my post and comment at the bottom.
Then go and e-mail Megan.
Right away.
You won't be sorry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am stuffed.

Stuffed full of knowledge, teaching strategies, curriculum development processes, and inspiration! And don't even get me started on all of the delicious food I've eaten in the past two days...

:)

I am South Carolina at a teaching conference - and while it's been wonderful, my brain is definitely on information-overload. I am taking a "brain break" to link up with Jivey for her Wednesday Workshop linky party.

This week's theme is mentor texts - oh how I LOVE children's books. 
I buy them all of the time. 
Ask my husband. 
Ask my credit card.
I scour garage sales, pounce on free book tables at libraries, scour Scholastic Book clubs, beg, and plead for more books!

First of all, let me say that I read to my students daily.

Yes, you remember correctly - I teach fifth grade.

aka...Big kids.

Who LOVE to be read to.

I have TONS of great books that I use in the classroom, but today's post is going to be about books I use when we're discussing adjectives (because that's what we're doing now, so I've got adjectives on the brain). Plus - adjectives help develop an author's unique voice and story-telling style.

Here are some great ones:

Book about Adjectives
Great for introducing the concept and identifying examples


Pig, Pigger, Piggest
An excellent choice when covering comparative adjectives

SO funny!

Now, I don't like to teach grammar in isolation, so when we study a specific part of speech (which is feels like we are always doing) then I like to read examples of author's using that part of speech effectively. We go on scavenger hunts around the classroom and through books to find examples of vivid, exciting, thought-provoking, writing-enhancing adjectives.

And to accompany our study of adjectives, I have created this wonderful packet:




   


This fun and engaging packet that gets your kiddos up and moving - and excited about grammar! can be yours for only $1! 

And for one lucky winner, this can be yours for FREE!

Here's what you need to do:

  • Pin a picture
  • In the comments section of this post, leave the url to the pin AND an adjective that describes YOU!
The winner will be randomly chosen tomorrow night!





11 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the design, it's so you! Megan did a fabulous job, as always! :)

    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously, none of us can read (we were too overwhelmed with the beauty of your blog)!

      http://pinterest.com/pin/245024035949166096/

      Hmm... caring.

      Delete
  3. Love the adjective game idea. Pig, Pigger, Piggest is one of my favorites when I teach adjectives. My kids giggle through the whole book. The Very Cranky Bear is new to me, I'm adding it to my list of books!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I had the wrong blog! This looks AMAZING!! I love your mentor text shares too:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new design! It looks awesome :) Thanks for the mentor text ideas too! Following you!

    Wendy
    Read with Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOUR BLOG LOOKS AMAZING, FANTASTIC, AWESOME, SO CUTE, FUN, AND ADORABLE!!! I LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!

    I didn't know it was finished until I popped by just now. I am so excited for you!

    Becky
    Compassionate Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um-
    OH
    MY
    GOSH!

    MEGAN IS AMAZING!! I love her! (And of course I love you too!)

    How did I miss this on Wednesday????? It's adorable!!!!!!

    love, love LOVE it!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top