Tuesday Trade Day: Figurative Language Task Cards

Emily from "I Love My Classroom" had a fabulous idea - a Product Swap!


She traded me her "Figurative Language Task Cards" for my "We're Going On a Sentence Hunt" activity. 

I LOVE teaching Figurative Language in the classroom - it's probably one of my favorite things to cover with my kiddos. I introduce different types of figurative language at different times throughout the year and Emily's "Figurative Language Task Cards" are an AWESOME review/reinforcement activity once you've covered the different types - questions include examples of Idioms, Similes, Metaphors, Personification,
Onomatopoeia, Alliteration, and Hyperboles. Phew - I'm tired just listing them :)

We started out by filling in their graphic organizer Emily has on her store (for FREE, I might add!) to review the different parts of speech. It's a Figurative Language Review Mini-Book that can be used as a pre-assessment, a whole group activity, or a post-assessment



I love how versatile these task cards are - I used these cards in a couple of different ways:

The first 16 cards I made it into a reading center:


I laminated the board so the students could write with a dry erase marker and just erase when they're done.

I had my reading groups test them out in a couple of ways:

First they drew cards and answered them on their own. They recorded their answers on these nifty task card recording sheets Emily has in her store FOR FREE! Download this awesome resource here: Task Cards Answer Sheets


 I then had them take turns reading the sentences and sharing their answers. They cooperatively and collectively decided what type of figurative language was being used.

When they finished, they checked the answer key (I had glued it to the back of the file folder) and went back over the ones they had answered incorrectly. They got 14 out of 16 correct!

They divided the cards into the 7 types of figurative language covered. They looked at each pile and made general statements about each category (i.e. similes always use the word "like" or "as" to compare two thing)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  
Then, I used the second 16 cards in a whole class review activity - a Figurative Language Scavenger Hunt! I love anything that gets my kids up and moving around the classroom and scavenger hunts are an awesome way to do that while reviewing important concepts.

I taped the cards around the room and had the students walk around and read each statement. They decided which type of figurative was being used and recorded the answer on their tracking sheet (the cards are numbered and the answers are in multiple choice form)



When they were done, I had them compare their answers with the three other students in their group. They discussed and compromised on any questions they disagreed on. Then we went over the answers as a class. They LOVED the activity.

It was a wonderful, comprehensive review of the different types of figurative language. It was a challenge for many of my students - but a brain-stretching one (my favorite kind!)

These could also be used as a traditional "Scoot" game :)

Thanks, Emily, for a wonderful trade!

Check out Emily's post about my product, "We're Going on a Sentence Hunt"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I pose the question to you...
Do you want to trade a product with me?  If you do, I'll test it out, take pictures, and then post about your product with a link back to your blog and store.

Check out my TpT store and e-mail me (jjawler64@gmail.com) if you see a product you'd like to test out with your class!

2 comments

  1. Yay! It was so much fun seeing your kiddos working with something I made. Thanks for swapping with me! Hope you had a great day!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! I'll trade something with you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top