"The Week Breathed a Sigh of Relief"

Happy Friday, Folks!

As usual, I'm linking up with these two wonderful ladies:

 


Can weeks breath?
Do weeks feel relief?
No, of course not - but it does in a personification world!


1. "Thoughts of a Backpack"
We've been touching on different types of figurative language and this week was personification which is SOOOO much fun! :)

I introduced the unit with a poem called "Thoughts of a Backpack" from this book:



In preparation, I decorated one of my student's backpacks with human features. I entered the classroom wearing it and read the poem with the backpack facing the kids, as if I was the "backpack" speaking to the class.



They roared!

It was such a fun introduction - and a great overview. We analyzed the poem and pointed out the numerous examples of personification.

Another great book to use when teaching personification is:  Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers by Laura Numeroff

Personification Activities:


Personification Task Cards
I've added a brand new product to my TpT store...Personification Task Cards!




These FUN and ENGAGING cards can be used as a scoot game, a scavenger hunt around the classroom, or a center activity for review and reinforcement.

The packet includes:

  1. Personification Poster
  2. 26 Personification Task Cards
  3. Student Tracking sheet
  4. Personification student activity - directions and template



*Click here to check them out: at TpT or TN!



2. Prefixes and Suffixes
We've been diving deep into word study and vocabulary work this week.

We started off with an overview using these awesome flip-books made by Christy from "Teaching Along the Yellow Brick Road"


   
And then mid-week we headed into the library from some hands-on, authentic practice using partner games:




Hunting through books for examples of prefixes and suffixes.

I found this great idea from Pintrest:
prefix, suffix, & root word plate

Today, as a treat, we played a really fun "I Have...Who has..." game reviewing prefixes:
The kids really enjoyed it - they were so focused on their cards, anxiously awaiting the opportunity to "pop up!" when it was their turn.


3. WW2 Guest of Honor!

My hubby is a HUGE history buff - and while the Civil War is his area of extreme expertise, he also does World War 2 re-enacting, so he has a complete uniform and collection of authentic artifacts. Since we're in the thick of WW2 in history, I invited him in to tell my students about daily life as a WW2 soldier:


My handsome "soldier," gearing up for his presentation.

I interviewed him on "Lawler Live," our classroom talk show - hence the over-sized microphone :)

Rose and I sporting the (very heavy!) helmets

My hubs and I wearing "overseas hats"


4. Teacher's Notebook: Daily Deals!
Teacher's Notebook has started a new initiative called "Daily Deals"

I was just exploring the Daily Deals site and decided to make a bid to have a product featured - and I just got an e-mail that I had the highest bid! So Saturday 3-23 (only) you can get my fun and engaging Women's History Month research project, "Give These Women a Hand" for 40% off! 



^Check it out in my TN store^

You can read more about this product by clicking here.

. Easter: Color by...Parts of Speech! FREEBIE
With Easter coming up, I've been hunting around for fun and engaging activities to use with my kiddos. I have found a lot of math-focused activities, but less language arts options. So I created a color by number part of speech!

Click HERE to download your copy for FREE!
^click here for other freebies to brighten your Friday^

I'd say it was a VERY successful week - so I'm linking up with The Lower Elementary Cottage for her "Successful Saturday" linky party!

^check it out by clicking here.^
p.s. Tomorrow I'll be revealing my "lie" from this past week's "Let's Get Acquainted" linky party - if you guessed correctly, you'll be randomly entered to win ANY product from my TpT store! Check out the blog post here.


19 comments

  1. We've been working on both figurative language and prefixes/suffixes as well. I love all the ideas you shared! I'll have to use some of those!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that poetry book too! I love it!

    Love that you got your hubby to come and share his talents too!
    Jean
    Diving Into 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is awesome. We're going to read "The Squirrel Olympics" next week to review action verbs.

      And yes - my hubby is always a big hit!

      Delete
  3. I love that idea of Thoughts of a backpack! I am going to have to look for it! My kiddos would love that.
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an AWESOME poem - so funny and relatable.

      Delete
  4. Holy cow! There are so many great things in this post! I love all of it! I love the idea of the backpack, sorting prefixes and suffixes and roots on that plate! All of it! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    You and your hubs are darling!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all of your ideas! I am envious that you can turn your back on your kids while teaching...lol. We are starting figurative language after break, thanks for the great ideas!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could only turn my back because it was a short poem. Anything longer and we would have had a problem! :) jk...sort of!

      Glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  6. What great ideas friend! Glad the foldable was useful to your class too! And kudos to your hubby too. What a great sport :)

    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica:
    There is so much great stuff in the post, I don't know what to click on first! And I am definitely bringing a "personified backpack" to school on Monday! I'm excited about the suggestions and ideas you shared... and glad to be a new follower.

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet note of encouragement - thanks Kim!

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for linking up! You freebie from my TPT store is on it's way in just a minute. I just LOVE that backpack creation!

    Lisa
    The Lower Elementary Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all the wonderful affix review ideas! I'm all set to go over this skill one more time now before the big TEST.

    I just found your blog through the Five on Friday linky and I'm really enjoying looking around.

    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Courtney!

      Affixes are so fun to teach - enjoy!

      Delete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top