PI(E) Day - Why Should Math Have All the Fun Today?

Today is March 14th aka 3-14 aka Pi Day (because Pi is 3.14......)

So the Math teachers were all abuzz with the fun and creative ideas they were going to incorporate into today...and as a reading teacher, I felt left out. So I decided to focus on my own type of PIE today - Author's Purpose PIE, that is :)


We took notes on the three main reasons that author's write: to Persuade, to Inform, and to Entertain.


Then we completed a really cute St. Patrick's Day-themed worksheet from Ciera's ("Adventures from Room 129") St. Patrick's Day Math and Literacy Activities.


This packet is seriously AWESOME!


The students read sentences spoken by "Mr. Leprechaun" and had to decide what the purpose was. They colored the shamrocks accordingly. 

Then we tried out hand at writing our own sentences for each type - the kids had a ball!

Finally, we played a fun "Author's Purpose sorting game" from "Love 2 Teach 2"
It gave the kiddos hands-on practice with real-life examples.

As a re-cap (and post-assessment), we made these cute paper plates:

Author's purpose

I have also downloaded these "Easy as Pie" posters to use as a review center next week:
Author's Purpose posters

Now I am so excited to have stumbled onto this fun, new linky party! It's all about one of my favorite time wasters pass-times...PINTREST!


Here are some of my favorite pins - click the pictures to be taken directly to the link:

easter decorations
Can't wait to make this garland for Easter!

Reading Anchor Chart: Theme
An awesome anchor chart for teaching Theme

Spring-themed Reading Graphic Organizers for ANY Book only 2$
Spring graphic organizers to use with ANY book ($)

FREE Visual Word Puzzles (Frame Games)
Word Puzzles - I love anything that builds vocabulary and stretches my students' brains :)

What have you been pinning lately? Hop on over to "Diving into Learning" and link up!



1 comment

  1. Thanks for linking up! I love the easter egg idea with the paint strips! I seriously need to start hoarding paint strips.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top