Snow is Falling...Books are Calling!

With all of the snow we've been getting around the country, I wanted to incorporate a fun, festive holiday activity into our reading class today that reinforced basic story elements.

I divided the students into pairs and let them choose a picture book from my library (because this was a one-period-long activity). They read the book together, discussed their "questions to ponder" (character traits, sequencing details, problem-solution, etc.) and then completed a "Snow is Falling...Books are Calling" activity:

The students were each given a blank template
On the right side of the book, the students write: the Title, Author, Genre, and Theme
On the left side of the book, the students write one sentence for the beginning, the middle, and the end
In the speech bubble, the students write an advertisement from the book’s perspective
For example, “Read me! If you like books with fun, realistic characters and an intriguing plot, you’ll love me!”

Here's a sample using the book Finn Cooks by Birte Miller




Here's our class bulletin board - aren't they cute?!


Click here to download the "Snow is Falling...Books are Calling" ready activity for FREE

On a separate note:
Good-bye February! You sure were lots of work fun! February sure was chalked with TONS of holiday activities - and it's a bittersweet good-bye. I am ready to get back to some normalcy though.

To give February a proper farewell, all of my February activities are 20% off in both my TpT store and my TN store now through Sunday (3-3-13). 

These products include:

  • February MEGA Activity Packet
  • Martin Luther King Jr. Packet
  • Groundhog Day Packet
  • President's Day Activity Packet
  • Black History: They Had a Heart for Justice
  • Black History: Famous Footsteps to Follow
Stock up now for next year...and save!


No comments

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top