Happy New Month!

Happy February Everyone!
When I did my student teaching, my cooperating teacher used to play "Happy New Month." On the first day of each month, you run around saying "Happy New Month!" to everyone before they can say it to you first. She also had a cute little treat waiting for them on their desks on the first of each month - It was a mini-celebration!

February is jam-packed with holidays and festive occasions: Groundhog Day, Valentine's Day, President's Day, etc. But one that cannot be overlooked is that it's Black History Month

To celebrate a rich history and to give students exposure to challenging and encouraging African American leaders, I've created two fun and engaging products:

First of all, They Had a HEART for Justice is a reading comprehension activity in which students read short biographies of famous African Americans who fought for justice in America and highlight important information in the paragraphs. Then, they choose two people to compare and contrast in a heart-shaped Venn Diagram. Finally, they synthesize the information and write a compare-contrast paper on the two note-worthy African Americans.

 

My second item is "Famous Footsteps to Follow," a research booklet focusing on the life and achievements of a noteworthy African American. The  their students choose someone to research, fill in the graphic organizer, and then transfer the information onto shoe prints (packet include 5 options) to create a booklet entitled "Famous Footsteps to Follow." Packet also includes Bulletin Board/display title.




Both can be downloaded from my TpT or TN store - add them to your wishlist and shop on Super Sunday to get them up to 28% off!

 

Annnnndddd because it's the first of the month, Farley from "Oh Boy Fourth Grade" is hosting her monthly "Currently" linky party. 


Here's my February Currently... 


Hop on over, link up, and share some Currently love!

6 comments :

  1. Jessica, I love your spotlight on black history month, especially about comparing & contrasting on a heart for justice...melted my heart!

    Amy Howbert
    Little Miss Organized
    amyhowbert1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE NYC! Went there for the first time right after 9/11 and have been back 4 times since! I would move their in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Have fun! (I am your newest follower!)

    Christina :)
    Apples, Books, and Crayons
    applesbooksandcrayons@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AUGH! Why is it you can only see the mistakes AFTER you hit submit? That should be there not their! Sorry!

      Delete
  3. I've never been to NYC!!! I hope you and your mother have a great time!! Newest Follower here:)

    Tammy
    Come By and Visit My Blogs!
    ”Dots” of Fun!
    1...2...3...Teach With Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. So jealous of your mother daughter day in NYC! How old is your daughter? I can't wait until mine is old enough to do fun things like that (well, more local than NYC). So glad to find your cute blog through Currently!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.