Food For Thought...Sent Right To Your Inbox

Classroom management.

Dun, dun dun....

You hear those two little words and your heart rate speeds up just a little bit. 

You've tried lots of different strategies - and most of them work...for about 12 days. And then you're back on Pintrest, trying to keep up with the newest trends and reward systems.

Incentives?
No incentives?

Candy?
Punch cards?

Stickers?
Clothespins?
Notes home?
E-mails?
Time out?
No recess?

As a new teacher, classroom management was always one of main things veteran teachers warned me about. "Reading about teaching from a textbook is one thing, but actually doing it is another!" they would tell me. And they were absolutely right. In college, I planned for my lesson plans meticulously, spending hours on a singe lesson that I would present to my classmates - and they went off without a hitch every time! Then again, I was teaching 21- and 22-year-olds to alphabetize by the first letter :)

Piece of cake.

But teaching real live 11-year-olds with bodies changing, hormones raging, attitudes flaring, and social pressures flying?

My cake is crumbling.


Now I love my kiddos and we have a wonderful time together - we learn A LOT each day and they are growing into mature, independent thinkers. I have a good behavior management system that works consistently most of the time.

I want to share something that has really changed the way I think about classroom management: it's a blog called "Smart Classroom Management" with articles by Michael Linsin. 
I first heard about it from Kristine over at "Young Teacher Love

YounGTeacherLove

She highly recommended the website, so I checked it out and have been loving it ever since!

He has incredible insight into the minds of students and teachers alike. You can sign up for his FREE weekly e-mail delivered directly to your inbox each week. His strategies and advice would work for a wide range of classrooms and grade levels.

Most of the time, I get hit most by the what not to do - so many of our natural habits and tendencies are feeding problems, not helping to solve them. Smart Classroom Management gives a lot of theory behind classroom management - and provides ideas for long, lasting behavior change - not just keeping them quiet or bribing them into behaving for 10 miuntes.

Check it out and sign up for the newsletter - you won't be sorry!


What have you found to be most effective in your classroom in terms of classroom management? I'd love any ideas/input you've got!


1 comment

  1. I will definitely check it out! Thanks for sharing! :)
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top