Verb Gumball Sort

Hello bloggy friends!
 
In keeping with my verb-themed week, I wanted to share another verb idea, this one causing the students to discern between helping verbs and main verbs in a sentence.
 
After discussing the definition of a helping verb and doing numerous examples where we found the helping verb in a sentence, I gave them this "gumball sorting activity" to test their knowledge.
 
Here's the assignment:
 
They had to color the gumballs, cut them out, sort them based on whether they were a helping verb or a main verb, and the glue them onto the correct gum ball machine.

 
 
 
Click here for the gumball machine template and the gumballs to sort
 
 
Here's a sample of the final product:
 
 
Then the students had to write five sentences using pairs of helping verbs and main verbs from their gumball machines. In the sentences they needed to underline the helping verb in green and the main verb in red.
 
Example: Mom said that we can eat these brownies.
 
It was hands-on for the kids and allowed me to see at a glance who had mastered the concept and who were confused and needed to be retaught in a small-group setting. See, it can be done - you can trick kids into having fun while studying grammar! :)

7 comments

  1. Hi Jessica:
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am always excited to find other upper grade blogs and I am looking forward to reading more from yours. I'm glad to be your newest follower...

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get the gumball machine graphic?

    Bren P.
    The Teacher Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From a free clipart site on google images, Pictures to Pin.

      Delete
  3. Excellent teaching strategy which is very useful since kids just love the thought. Learning should be fun and so you did it in your own way. Keep it up. :)
    - Selectivend.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I have seen that your Rss of this portal is working in a right way, did you somehow all the settings all by yourself or you simply left the default settings of the widget?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I didn't do anything fancy - It's just the default settings :)

      Delete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top